This crab bisque is absolutely delicious! It reminds me of the crab bisques I used to devour at every opportunity in New Orleans, creamy, hearty and full of crab!
The coconut milk in this recipe adds to the creaminess and the hefty amount of crab meat ensure you have luscious chunks of crab in every bite.
As a starter, this bisque is a wonderful beginning to any meal, however, also hearty enough to completely satisfy as a full meal. The addition of the sautéed red bell peppers, onions, and garlic make the base of the soup wonderfully flavor while still allowing the divine crab to dominate the flavor profile. You absolutely must try this recipe!
- 1 lb lump crab meet
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup sherry (optional)
- 3 cups vegetable stock, gluten free
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt – may omit if your stock has salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- In a medium sized pot heat coconut oil and sautee onion and garlic together until onions become translucent.
- Add in bell peppers, sautee 1-2 more minutes.
- Add in spices except salt (taste at end and add desired amount)
- Add in Coconut Milk and bring to a slow simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in vegetable stock and bring, again, to a simmer.
- Add in crab (+/- sherry) heat just until the crab has warmed and serve.
**If you would like to thicken the soup a bit you can add in GF flour ~ 1 tbsp to the coconut milk as you’re cooking.