Mast o Esfenaj (Persian Yogurt and Spinach Dip)
Mast o Esfenaj is a classic Persian dip made with spinach, yogurt and seasoning. Vegetarian and gluten free, this dip is ready in just 10 minutes.
Cool and refreshing, whip up a batch of mast o esfenaj and grab the nearest baguette, crackers or veggie sticks (I like cucumber!) and get to noshing!
Bonus Persian Mom Tip: Growing up, instead of saran wrap my mom used to always save the little shower caps from hotel visits, which make perfect covers for leftovers or things going into the fridge. Genius!
- 2 cups of yogurt (again, I'm loyal to Fage 2% but use your favorite!)
- 1 10-ounce package of frozen spinach, thawed and drained well of excess water (you may want to stick it in a saute pan on medium for 5 minutes to 'dry it out')
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
- 2 dashes of garlic powder
- Walnuts (optional - I don't use them since I'm allergic)
- All you have to do is mix everything up and then chill for a couple hours. Then enjoy with pita bread, chips, as a side dish or just by itself!